Saturday, September 20, 2008

Uh oh, he's talking politics!

In light of the fact that we are currently immersed in Politicking from all sides, I feel the urge to express my views.

Firstly, I feel that I am a typical Canadian voter; I am apolitical. Not what you expected from me, was it?

That doesn't mean I'm apathetic, it just means I'm not a card carrying member of an organized party.

There are no signs on my lawn, nor will there be. It's nobody's business whom I support.

I don't consider myself red or blue or green or chartreuse or whatever other politico stripes you can be.

As Joe Average, I have a few basic expectations from the people selected to run my Country.

When I go to bed at night, I wish to sleep knowing that while I dream impossible dreams, the status quo is maintained. Maybe even improved a little.

Not much to ask.

I do not want to wake up to skyrocketing gas prices.

I do not want to wake up to a devalued dollar, either by design or by chance.

I do not want to wake up to double digit inflation.

I do not want to wake up to interest rate hikes.

I do not want to wake up to higher taxes. Or new taxes. Or taxes disguised as tariffs.

I do not want to wake up to find my tax dollars going to bail out another multi-national corporation.

I do not want my elected officials to waste time fighting amongst themselves and calling each other names, they should have gotten that out of their systems in grade 7.

I want my politicians to tell me what they are going to do for me, not what the other guys are going to do to me.

I want real time health care. Why should we have to wait interminably long times for tests and procedures that we have already paid for with tax dollars? And why should hospitals need to have bake-sales for equipment?

I want the Native Land claims issue sorted out. Would you want to own property within The Haldimand Tract right now? I do. And although my tax assessment doesn't reflect it, I'm pretty sure that the Native Protest Camp 600 meters out my back door has had a negative impact on my property value.

I want real support for our Armed Forces. They need ships and choppers and tanks and weapons NOW. The Governor General can wait a few more years for a bathroom remodel. Tell her to cross her legs.

I want rights and power taken away from the criminals and given back to the police.

I don't want you to promise the me sky, because I know you can't deliver it.

I just want the real time day to day crud to go a little easier.

If you can promise me all or most of the above, you'll get my vote.

DJW

No comments: