Saturday, November 29, 2008

Double Dippers


This is not about rude party guests who stick their chip into the guacamole twice, and the subsequent flogging they should receive.

What this is about is people who retire on Friday, get the gold watch and big send off, and are back at work on Monday, doing the same job.

And the subsequent flogging they should receive.

The Toronto Star published an article in June covering the plight of new and substitute teachers getting a foothold in the world of DD's. They also contend, however erroneously, that theirs is the only profession in which this occurs.

My Darling Bride and I both work in the public sector where this practice is commonplace, if not rampant.

One of the few 'perks' of working for a government is that the pension plans generally have a 'magic number' of combined age and years of service to strive for. After you have reached your magic number, you may retire with full pension and benefits.

In my case, my magic number is unreachable, as I got on board too late. I will have to work until 2 years after I am dead to reach it. I currently work with two people that are retired from our department and working 'on contract' or as 'consultants' or more commonly, double dipping. Don't get me wrong, I like these guys and I value their years of experience, but they are taking slots that could be filled with other staff, and allow people to move up or realize other career goals.

M.D.B.'s magic number is also unreachable as she is part time. Has been for eight years. There are DD's (double dippers) on her job that are filling spots part time. To my mind, two part time jobs equals one full time job.

Now, you might say that the DD has specific skills that are hard to replace. I say that twelve pages did not suddenly fall off the calendar. They could have trained their replacement long before they retired. They are also preventing staff with less experience from moving up.

From an employers perspective, it is good value. They generally pay these staff at a lower rate, and do not have to contribute to their benefit fund. From a DD's point of view, lets look at the numbers. Let's say that their hourly wage before retirement was $30/hr, and their pension is 66% or $20/hr. If they make more than $10/hr they are making more than when they were working, doing the same job, for the same employer.

In my opinion, if you want to stay working, then defer your retirement. Or retire and find something else to do.

My Brother-in-law did it right. He achieved his 'magic number' in his late 40's, took his retirement package, then got a paper route. He still had a reason to get up in the morning, and made extra income. I worked in the taxi industry with many retired persons supplementing their income by driving a few hours a day. There are plenty of opportunities for Retired Persons for part time work or even a second career.

Double dipping, be it chips or work, is just plain greedy.

DJW

No comments: