Saturday, April 5, 2008

Once a soldier...

Canada has lost yet another Soldier in Afghanistan.

Every time I hear this I fear its someone I know. I am relieved I didn't know this one, and I hope I never have to have that worry again.

My thoughts are with his family.

Whether or not you agree with the action or the Government's position, these troops and their families need our support.

They are in an impossible position, doing an impossible job, with little support, and against a cowardly, mostly invisible enemy.

I wore the green from 1982 - 89, and although never called to serve, I would have gone with pride.

I cannot speak for every Soldier, Seaman or Airman, only myself, and my reason for joining was duty.

I feel I have the duty to this great country, Canada, and to,"Stand on guard for thee."

I feel I have the duty to protect those who need protecting.

I feel I have the duty to protect the peace, and to help make it endure.

I feel I have the duty to honour those who served and gave.

If I had stayed in, I surely would have been there by now. I have friends and comrades that have been, are there, and will be there.

I now wear the blue and gray of the Royal Canadian Legion, with the same pride as I wore the green. My duty now is to serve my community, and to honour those who gave.

So to Bubba, Grunt, Smelliot and the rest of you lads, come back and have a few cold ones with me.

I'll buy.

DJW

The boys are longing for some comforts of home, particularly Timmy's coupons. If you want to pitch in, let me know.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Believe me...that beer will be the best one I've ever had...It will take a lot to flush out Kandahar Dust from this body..

Missing you like mad my brother...

Bubba