Sunday, January 18, 2009

And Now...A Musical Interlude...


I once read that writing about music was like dancing about architecture.

Then would writing about watching people make music be like painting about anthropology?

What brings this on is that I was minding my own business, waiting to be DaddyCab yesterday, when the radio station I was listening to played back-to-back cuts from The Band, Neil Young and Van Morrison.

Immediately, images of The Band's final concert, The Last Waltz, flashed in my head. For those who are uninitiated, this is widely considered the first concert movie, (Woodstock excepted) and was directed by none other than Martin Scorsese .

The premise was that The Band, after 16 years on the road, is quitting, and giving one final concert. They invited all those who's path they crossed, including the two musicians they were the back up band for, Rompin' Ronnie Hawkins and Bob Dylan. It includes the cream of the crop of 70's music, Eric Clapton, Van Morrison, Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, Ringo Starr, Ron Wood and on and on and on.

There is an absolutely moving version of The Weight, performed with a full gospel quartet.

But the show stealer is an out take that is included only on the DVD called Jam 2. What happens here is, the stage and everyone from the show is being set up for the Grand Finale, when a jam breaks out. It starts with Garth Hudson just chording on the organ, and Ringo joining in on the drums. Soon, everyone is in on the jam, feeding off each other and feeling the music.

Fortunately, the cameras were running. Unfortunately, they all burned out some 20 minutes in. I have found it on You Tube, but it is in two parts and not complete. Part one is here and part two is here. If you are musically inclined and haven't seen this spectacle, take 10 minutes and enjoy.

I have always been in awe of musicians who do more than play music, they feel music. This started when I was a child watching my Father with his violin or fiddle, and seeing him get 'lost' in the music. Luckily, I have video of him from his heyday in 50's and 60's, that I will share at a later date.

Later, I will also give insights on the genius of Randy Bachman, the Cowboy Junkies and other great acts that have moved me.

...Barry Manilow will not be on the list.

DJW

No comments: