Wednesday, July 29, 2009

The Circle of Life



I've been sorting a lot of memories in recent weeks. Funny thing about memories, one seems to trigger another.

While this overcrowded shed in my head is jammed with useless factoids like... there were just around 20,000 AMX's built ...and that Walrus's (or is it Walrusii?) eat 4,000 clams in 10 minutes, miraculously I still have room for some fond memories.

I remember things like evening drives going for a 'red pop'; campfires in the back yard; watching clouds with Ma and spontaneous jam sessions breaking out in the kitchen.

I am the youngest of the gang by far, with 11 years between myself and my sister. The official line is that I was the only 'planned' one and I'll stick with that. That gave me the luxury of being treated like an only child (with 6 parents no less) But the truth is, I had more time with Ma and Pa than the Big Four.

One of the memories that blindsided me the other night was a good one.

While we still lived in the country ( before I turned 11), Pa would occasionally pack us up a meal in a canvas ditty bag , which was usually a pork chop and some sliced potatoes wrapped in tinfoil, a few 'red pops' for me and a few 'brown pops' for him. He would then announce to Ma in a very man like voice that we were going "Hunting Bunnies", and bring along a couple of antique 22's he had. (Google Steven's Little Scout and Steven's Visible Action if you wish). We would drive 1/2 mile to the TH&B tracks, then walk the 1/2 mile down to a trestle that passed over a creek in the bush. We would gather wood for a campfire, and while our meal cooked on a rock in the middle, we'd hunt 'tin' bunnies that we found and set on stumps in the woods. Usually we would see a real bunny, and would try to get close enough to feed it with some the nuts that Pa always had in his pocket, but they frequently would skitter off.

The other night I took Pa for a 'roll' around the grounds of the Hospice. The area there must be 4 acres, and has lots of both landscaped and natural growth.

Much to his delight, we spotted not one, but two bunnies.





All these years later, I'm the one taking Pa out hunting bunnies.


DJW

1 comment:

Chuck T said...

Very touching brother... What goes around comes around...