Monday, February 2, 2009

Here we go again.


The Ontario Legislature has passed yet another unenforceable, un-needed law.

Bill 69, an act to protect children from second-hand tobacco smoke in motor vehicles by amending the Smoke-Free Ontario Act has come into effect.

What this law basically states is that you are not allowed to smoke in cars with children under the age of 16.

Apparently, if you are over 16, you are immune to second hand smoke.

My beef of this law is not the wording or concept, but the enforceability. I can see it becoming nothing more than a nuisance call for police.

Here is my (hopefully) imaginary call...

Operator: "Nine-one-one do you require Police, Fire or Ambulance?"

Caller:"Police, and quickly!

O:"What's the problem, Sir?"

C:"There's a guy driving west on East Street, just past North Ave. and he's smoking, and he has kids in the car!"

O:"That is a problem, Sir. I have two Officers in the area. Can you stay with him?"

C:"You should also know he's talking on a handset cellphone!"

O:"The Scofflaw! O.K. I've alerted the S.W.A.T. Team, they're on the way!"

C:"And...are you ready for this? There is a pillow clearly visible in the back window, and would you believe that the 'DO NOT REMOVE UNDER PENALTY OF LAW' tag has been torn off?"

O:"The chopper is in the air..."

O.K. so I went a bit overboard.

Maybe.

I am just so darned proud that there are people in my Government that are spending a lot of time and effort on these real issues instead of wasting themselves on trivial matters like, oh I don't know, LAND CLAIMS? Or justice reform? Or Senior Citizens living in poverty?

A wise man once said, "The State has no business in the bedrooms of the Nation."

Oh wait, that was a Politician.

A pretty big one too if I recall.

DJW
DJ was smoking when he typed this. Hopefully that's still legal.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

DJ...that just made my day my friend...

Bubba