Sunday, June 13, 2010

Doing the Breakdown Breakdance

One more icon of the past has fallen in Our Humble Castle.

Frigidaire.

Many of us in our middle age can remember our mother cooking on the same stove, washing our clothes with the same washer and the same shiny toaster sat on the counter for our entire lives it seemed.

The names were pre-war and they were built like the war machines that came from those same factories during the war.

Kelvinator, Admiral, Viking, General Electric and Frigidaire. All names synonymous with heavy duty reliability.

Not any more.

Like the fall of the Big Three auto manufacturers to Japanese quality, appliances I feel have gone the same way.

I've already told the tale of woe around our Frigidaire Range. The stove saga left a bad taste in my mouth for that brand.

Several months ago the bearing in our 7 year old Frigidaire Gallery front loading washer started to make noise. Being the handy guy I am, I squeezed into the closet it was in and removed the back to get at the complainer.

I couldn't believe what I found.

Sure enough, there was the bearing, and yup, it was stiff. But there was no way to remove it. It was moulded into the one piece drum assembly. A search of appliance repair sites on the net confirmed this reality. It also told me the replacement part was in the $200 range. Plus tax. And shipping.

A bearing of that size and type would have set me back $15 or so at my local T.S.C. Store.

So Frigidaire's little design feature led to 3 options:
  1. costly replacement part
  2. costly repair bill
  3. costly replacement of the entire unit.
I chose option 3.

But not Frigidaire. Never again.

I don't think my Parents would ever have considered buying a Samsung appliance.

Times change.

Brands change.

Frigidaire did.

For the worse.

DJW
Have you been disappointed by a major appliance purchase?
Share with the class here.

No comments: