Sunday, October 5, 2008

The Inn at Christie's Mill

My Darling Bride and I had the pleasure to stay at a Muskoka Resort this weekend. Made even more of a pleasure as it was all paid for, by someone else!

The Inn at Christie's Mill is a luxury resort spa, plunked right on the waters edge at Port Severn, Ontario, the gateway to the Muskoka's and the Trent-Severn Waterway.

Now, my experiences with resort/spas has been limited to a conference center in Mississauga annually for work related events, but this was different.

The view from the room this time did not include the 401 or office towers and the approach lights for Pearson.

This was far different.

Our view overlooking the harbour would only have been more perfect if it hadn't been cloudy.

The room itself was as big as our living/dining room combined. It's only lacking was a side table to put beside the chairs while watching the fireplace.

The bed was best described as oversized. It seemed bigger than our king bed at home, perhaps because you needed a stool to get in it. It was quite comfy, even if we were sleeping in different postal codes.

The bathroom was bigger than my first apartment, complete with his and hers sinks, a tricked out water closet and a Jacuzzi tub with a heat lamp. The bath fixtures were Kohler, complete with a fully height adjustable shower massage with three settings: soothing, massage and 'marry me.'

The dining room was very something. I can't quite find the right words.

Maybe rustic elegance.

It was built in a circular pattern to invoke the feeling of the working parts of an old grist mill. Lots of stone and wood, which I like. Of course I had to sit there and analyze its construction.

Again, a spectacular view overlooking the water and an island.

The dining was Chef prepared, with the emphasis being on the preparation and presentation. You had all your major food groups represented, steak, lamb, pork, veal, chicken and seafood. I shied away from the steak, as it was advertised as a 9 ounce, and that would have been an appetizer for me. I selected the veal with pasta, and it was grand. The pasta was done in a garlic butter and Parmesan sauce that tasted as if I had made it. My Darling Bride chose the pork tenderloin and veggies. The loin was tender and tasty, but the veggies were more arranged than served. I guess I'm not cultured enough for the fine dining experience (or the prices). Dessert for me was a 'Chocolate Disaster' of ice cream, ground up brownie and chocolate sauce served in a champagne glass. M.D.B. had the blueberry crumble, served in a coffee cup with ice cream and ornately drizzled with chocolate and caramel.

We did not partake in the spa part of the spa, as bookings did not jive with our schedule, but we did peek into the area. The pool was smallish, and the hot tub smaller, but with the Jacuzzi in the room, it wasn't needed.

If I had to find complaint about the experience, its that the resort's layout is very strung out, and someone with mobility problems would find it tedious to get around.

The other complaint: that we couldn't stay longer.

Thanks to Thing 2 for the life experience getaway, and to Thing 1 for the spending cash. Luvya both.

If you get the chance, we can now recommend The Inn at Christie's Mill.

DJW

1 comment:

Jane said...

Sounds like a yummy weekend! The kids sent you?