Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Another un-needed law?


Common sense apparently does not exist in Ontario.

Ontario has taken steps to enact a law banning the use of cell phones and other electronic devices while behind the wheel.

Now, you might think I would be in favour of a law making our highways safer.

I am.

But this isn't the right law.

Police services would now have a new nuisance call, Cell Call In Progress. (It would be ranked with Stupidity in Progress)

This law would affect many people. Many service trucks have mobile display terminals (MDT's), as do taxi's, Trucker's have two way radios and C.B.'s

Ambulances come with both radio's and MDT's, with a patient in the back the driver must break the law to operate either.

Every Police Officer has three devices: radio, MDT and cell phone. In order to enforce the law they must break it.

The argument for them is that they have special training in the safe use of these devices. Whose to say that a regular driver can't have special training? Truckers have to take a course to achieve a 'Z' endorsement for air brakes.

I had an argument several years ago with a Driver Trainer on an advanced course I was on. His argument was to ban all cell usage while driving. My argument was that my hands free cell phone was the same as having a conversation with someone sitting beside me. A little later he was telling us of a trucker he saw tailgating a small car, and how he called him on the CB to point out the error of his ways. I raised my hand and asked him, "Did you pull over and stop so you could safely operate the radio?" He went silent for a moment and then replied" It's not the same."

He was cornering the wrong guy.

I spent eight years in the Army, one of my qualifications being Driver Instructor, and eight years driving taxi. My radio was both my income and my lifeline.

My reply to him, "A radio requires you to take your hand off the wheel to hold the microphone, my hands free cell lets me keep both hands on the wheel."

He changed the subject.

I am all in favour of making our roads safer...I once slapped the windshield of a cell phone distracted driver with a stop paddle. (sidebar...the Traffic Safety Course now states thou shalt not slap the windshield of a cell phone distracted driver with a stop paddle)

I'm not endorsing cell calls on handsets or texting while driving I'm just saying this isn't the right law.

The right law already exists.

It's called Careless Driving and it reads:

Careless driving

130. Every person is guilty of the offence of driving carelessly who drives a vehicle or street car on a highway without due care and attention or without reasonable consideration for other persons using the highway and on conviction is liable to a fine of not less than $200 and not more than $1,000 or to imprisonment for a term of not more than six months, or to both, and in addition his or her licence or permit may be suspended for a period of not more than two years. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 130.


(Source: E-LAWS)

Next week, in a continuing effort to protect us from ourselves, the Government plans to introduce a bill banning running with scissors.

DJW

1 comment:

Jane said...

Of course, keep in mind that we now live in a place where schools have banned tag because it involves body contact, and kids have to wear goggles to play badminton! (You'll put your eye out with that thing!) Clearly we are incapable of protecting our own children using common sense as well. Why not just ban driving altogether. That way there would be no car accidents!