Saturday, October 4, 2008

Todays Lesson Is...

...Make sure you know who you are talking to.

Last week I was given a job at work, laying out a sewer in Oakville. Nothing unusual about that, it's part of what I do. As an addendum to this task, I was asked to hand out notices to area residents and businesses about the upcoming construction. That task is usually reserved for the inspector.

Well, circumstances intervened and the letters didn't get delivered. No sweat, I thought, the inspector could deliver them when he made his initial pre-construction survey of the site. I gave the letters to the inspector and explained that I hadn't had time to deliver them, and pointed out that it was part of his job anyway. He was non-plussed by this.

The next morning I answer my phone and get this, "Why didn't you deliver the letters?"

No hello, good morning, or, "Hi it's Fred."

Just, "Why didn't you deliver the letters?"

I pointed out that I had told him yesterday why not, and he carried on. The conversation quickly escalated into a yelling match and I finished the call with,"Why don't you get off your lazy a** and do it yourself! HAVE A GOOD DAY!" and I snapped my phone shut.

After calming down for a few minutes, I decided to call my boss and let him know about this. I left him a voicemail saying, "Joe, its DJ. I just had a run in with Fred. Give me a call."

A few minutes later, Joe calls back. I started to explain when he cut in, "I didn't appreciate being hung up on."

Silence

"That was YOU? It sounded like Fred!"

"I have a cold."

After I delivered the letters I bought my boss some cold medicine.

The lesson: make sure you know who you are talking to before you tell them to, "HAVE A GOOD DAY!"

DJW

No comments: